Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Doug Bacon endorses Greg Borg for Local 29 President...

Brothers & Sisters,
I had planned to stay out of this and maybe my opinion doesn't matter to any of you. If it does, this is what I think.
Chris is energetic & willing to learn, but there really is an awful lot to learn and little time to learn it. Greg has spent almost his entire firefighting career working for the betterment of firefighters. Chris is the "outsider" with many new and interesting ideas and a willingness for "outside" opinions, but no experience in dealing with the Administration & City as a negotiator. Greg hasn’t always appeared to listen to “outside" opinions, but he tells me that this will definitely change. Chris's inexperience in how the union "works" will mean it has to take him some time to learn the rules, as we do have to follow the rules of the State of Washington, the WSCFF, the IAFF and the other labor organizations we belong to. Greg knows what a Union is and how it works. If Chris is elected, can he get things done, I’m just not sure he can. If Greg is reelected will he continue his way of doing things, he tells me that things will change. That is really the question, is it time for new leadership. I think it is time for a new leadership style. Greg brings the experience to find the way to change things. This election will not give either one of them a "mandate" and I truly hope the winner realizes this! The bottom line is that I believe Greg will be able to better lead this Union with our help. If Greg takes this opportunity to reach out to the disaffected and encourages everyone on this job to communicate their thoughts and ideas to the Union, we can make progressive changes to this Union and improved benefits for us.
Doug Bacon

No comments: