Tuesday, April 03, 2012
Fire Press Release
Commercial Garage Fire In City's East End
Incident #: 2012013576
Date of Incident: 4/3/2012
Issuing Officer: Bruce Moline/Battalion Chief
On Tuesday, April 3rd at 2:55 P.M. the Spokane Fire Department responded to a commercial garage fire located at 120 N. Ralph in the city's east end. Engine 7 from their neighborhood station at 1st and Magnolia was first to arrive and noticed heavy black smoke coming from the garage. They immediately began an interior offensive attack using hose lines while later arriving crews began to search and ventilate the interior. All occupants made it out of the building safely. After 20 minutes, the fire was reported to be knocked down. Fire crews were able to successfully keep the fire out of the adjacent office areas and confine the fire to the area of origin which was a truck parked inside the garage. A total of six engines, two ladders, and two battalion chiefs responded on this fire. After the fire was out, fire crews assisted in removing water from the floor of the garage. The cause of the fire at this time appears to be caused by a welding operation near the parked truck. There was gasoline involved in this fire which makes for a very fast and hot fire. Through the use of water and foam carried on the fire apparatus, fire crews were able to achieve a quick knockdown and much of the building complex was saved. The Special Investigation Unit of the Spokane Fire Department investigated this fire. There were no injuries to firefighters or civilians.
Truck was destroyed. Significant fire and smoke damage throughout garage.
# Firefighters Responding: 29
Dollar Loss: $30,000
End Of Release
For more information on this release please call (509) 625-7002