Friday, October 27, 2006

Don Waller for E-Board Letter!

Brothers and Sisters,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to consider me for a position on Local 29’s Executive Board. I think all the candidates would do a great job. I have been interested in the union dealings since I started my career as a firefighter. The union, through the committees it has representatives on, and negotiations has major input on the direction our department takes on most issues. In the past I have been involved by helping with the gathering of information for the last contract negotiations, PR committee during the budget cuts, and debit day committee. One of my major tasks on the PR committee was putting together detailed information for a media packet and presentation. I was on the recent debit day committee in which I developed a plan for a possible solution. I think that it is an e-board member’s responsibility to look at every issue in various aspects and weigh each one. These aspects include the following: Is it something the members need or want? How will it affect all our members? What will the future consequences be? In other words will a new policy be made in reaction to our decision that ends up being worse for the members? Is it worth what we may have to give up? I would try to look into every issue in depth evaluating the benefit of now versus the effects in the future. I strive to look at every conceivable solution, even those that may be considered “outside of the box”, and those negative solutions others may want for us. We need to look at new creative solutions that can benefit all sides. One of my strongest attributes is my ability to analytically look at a problem from all sides. This was a big help when I served on the debit day committee and came up with a possible solution. I had even more options that were not agreed upon by both sides. The near future is going to be very important for SFD and L29. We will have new contract negotiations, possibility of a levy lid lift election, fire bond election, mayoral race, and other political races. The next couple years will impact our department’s future immensely. If we are not proactive in the solutions and changes we could feel the negative affects throughout all of our careers. The union needs to make sure the public is aware of how our department is being run, how their money is spent, and where things may be overly or inadequately funded. We will all be better off we can get the public support, the politically support, support from our department leaders, and support from our members to be adequately funded so that we can have a safe, efficient, effective fire department. It will make our fight for wages and benefits a smaller battle to win. I do not have a specific agenda, or an issue that I want changed. I promise to look at every issue fairly, analytically, and think of all possible solutions. I will make sure every opinion, desire, or issue that is brought to me is forwarded to the e-board or appropriate committee. I will support what ever side of and issue the majority of the job wants, no matter what my personal feeling is on it. I think if we can come up with new solutions, showing that all sides can benefit we can succeed. The time of the fat budget, doing it the way we always have is gone. We are going to have to change to survive, and it will take some thought to make sure that change happens in a positive way and we not only to keep what we have but always stride to improve.

Respectfully,
Don Waller

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Give me link to SEO software (promotion, advertisement, etc.). I'm need it to promote my new e-shop.
Thanks.