Sunday, October 25, 2009

Prez candidate letter!

Shane Skipworth for Local 29 President


BRINGING THE YOU BACK IN UNION


What makes a strong union? Involvement by all of its members. When I am elected as President of Local 29, I will work for you, the members, not the other way around. As union president, I am responsible for my decisions and actions. However, I am accountable for those decisions and actions to you, the members of the union.

What do I bring to the table? I have been in local 29 for 8 years. I graduated from Eastern Washington University in 1998 with a degree in Criminal Justice which required some classes in law, government, ethics and management. Some people will say I don’t have the experience required to do this job. What I do have is the motivation, desire and personal integrity to be the president. I concentrate on the issues not the person. We may have differing opinions, but you will get the same effort from me. I believe this is about what is right not a popularity contest. We are a professional organization and we should act like it.

I believe in respect, whether it’s dealing with the chiefs, city hall or our membership. We may not agree on every issue, but all discussions and negotiations can be done with professional courtesy and respect.

We need to unite and look toward the future together. We need to unite and be prepared for both the good and the challenging times. We need to unite to be a stronger union. Together let’s bring the you back in union.

Shane Skipworth

No comments: