Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Prez candidate letter!

Vietzke For President
I am Mark Vietzke, and I am running for the position of president for Local 29. I have been with the Spokane Fire Department for 24 years and have worked at Fire Station # 4 since 1994. For the past 9 years, I have served in an official capacity for the local. In 2001, I was elected to the executive board where I served 4 years. In 2005, I was elected vice president and continue to serve in that position today.

Over the past 9 years, I have attended numerous classes and seminars educating and preparing me to do my job as a union leader. The classes have educated me in contract negotiations, grievances, health and safety, LEOFF 2 disability issues, mediation and arbitration procedures, and other aspects of service for you and our union.

I was part of a team that negotiated our latest contract. In my opinion, it’s one of the best contracts in Local 29’s history. We also negotiated a salary savings plan with the city that is a great benefit for retiring members.

One thing I have certainly learned over the years is that you cannot always make everyone happy. However, I can assure you that in every issue, we always try to make a decision that is best for the body as a whole.

The last nine years have been exciting, successful, and humbling. Even though there have been some stresses along the way, I have enjoyed serving as your vice president. I am now am asking for your support to be the next president of Local 29. I can say I will work hard for you and keep Local 29 moving in the right direction.

Thanks for listening,
Mark

No comments: