Monday, July 20, 2009

Fire Press Release

ISSUING OFFICER: Mike Inman / Battalion Chief
INCIDENT TYPE: Structure Fire
CITY: Spokane
ZIP: 99207

NARRATIVE: At 2:55 am the Spokane Fire was called to 1423 E. Sanson in the Northeast part of the city to a kitchen fire. This was in a duplex that has 6 adults and 4 children living in one apartment. There was no working smoke detector and the cause of the fire appears to be an unattended pan of grease being heated on the stove. The pan of grease ignited catching the cabinets on fire. Upon arrival Engine 15 found the residents out of the structure and the fire growing in intensity in the kitchen. A quick fire attack using a 1 ¾ inch hose line knocked the fire down. At the same time a search of the apartment was made while ventilating the smoke out. The ceiling above the kitchen stove was opened up to make sure there was no extension of fire into the structure and there was not. Red Cross was called to assist the residents as the kitchen was damaged and electrical power shut off to the apartment. One civilian injury was reported caused by smoke inhalation. She was looked at by Fire Department Paramedics but not transported at her request. Damage was confined to fire damage in the kitchen with smoke damage on the main floor. There were no injuries to Firefighters on scene and crews began to be released about 15 minutes after the arrival of the first crew. In all 4 Engines, 1 Ladder Truck, 1 Rescue unit and 2 Battalion Chiefs responded. The Spokane Fire Department would like to remind citizens of the importance of working smoke detectors. Fortunately these people got out. Do not count on smoke waking you up; a working smoke detector will sound giving you time to evacuate yourself from the structure. Secondly, cooking fires like this happen quite often and can be prevented by not leaving the kitchen while cooking. When using any type of heating or cooking appliance your vigilance is required to stay safe.

PROBABLE CAUSE: Unattended pan of grease
DAMAGE EXTENT: Fire damage to the kitchen and smoke throughout the main floor of the apartment
MUTUAL AID: None Given

For more information on this release, please call (509)625-7002 and/or check out the SFD Blog at