Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Fire press release

North Battalion Residence Fire
Incident #: 2012051347
Date of Incident: 11/27/2012
Issuing Officer: Battalion Chief Bill Donahoe
Narrative: On Tuesday, November 27,  2012 at 01:34 am, 6 Companies of Spokane Firefighters, 1 Senior ladder, 1 Heavy Rescue and  4 Engines under the direction of Battalion Chiefs Donahoe and Moline responded to a structure fire at 2602 N. Hogan. Fire fighters from Station 2 arrived within 2 minutes and reported smoke from the roof a two story residence and that all the occupants were outside and accounted for. The first arriving Chief upgraded the incident to a working fire which added an additional ladder company and ambulance to the scene. Companies quickly located the fire in the attic of the converted second story apartment unit using thermal imaging cameras. The ceiling was pulled, the roof was opened and the fire was quickly extinguished. The Fire Investigators have determined that the fire originated from faulty wiring in the attic.  Avista has disconnected the power to the second floor apartment until repairs can be made to the affected wiring. There were no injuries to firefighters or civilians as a result of this incident. 3 adults and 1 child were displaced from the second story apartment and are being assisted by the Red Cross. The first floor apartment was vacant at the time of the incident and was not affected.
Cause: The fire has been determined to be caused by faulty knob and tube wiring in the attic by the Spokane Fire Dept Special Investigation Unit.
Damage: There was moderate fire and smoke damage to the affected second floor apartment.There was no damage to the first floor apartment unit.
# Firefighters Responding: 22
Dollar Loss: $ 10,000.00
Other Agencies Responding:
AMR Ambulance, Avista and the Red Cross.
End Of Release 
For more information on this release please call (509) 625-7002