South Hill Apartment Fire
Incident #: 2013003779
Date of Incident: 01/24/2013
Issuing Officer: BC Dave Haworth
On Thursday, January 24, at 4:19 PM, the Spokane Fire Department dispatched 2 ladder companies, 5 engine companies, 1 heavy rescue, and 2 battalion chiefs to a reported structure fire at 1203 W 8th Ave. Rescue 9 arrived first from it's 19th and Bernard station and reported smoke coming from the eaves of a 6 unit, wood constructed, 3 story apartment building. While several crews were initially directed to search the structure to ensure all occupants were out, others were directed to attack the fire, make sure the fire did not extend to other areas, and remove the smoke. Fortunately all occupants exited safely and were sheltered for the duration of the incident in an STA bus. The fire was located in a bedroom on the first floor and was extinguished within 40 minutes. 6 occupants were displaced and the Red Cross was providing assistance to them. SPD provided units for traffic control and AMR kept an ambulance unit on standby. There were no injuries to civilians or firefighters.
The fire is under investigation by the SFD Special Investigation Unit
Damage was confined to 3 apartments.
# Firefighters Responding: 27
Dollar Loss: $ 20000
Other Agencies Responding:
SPD, Avista, STA
End Of Release
For more information on this release please call (509) 625-7002
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
Tuesday, January 22, 2013
Warming Fire Burns Duplex Incident #: 2013003393 Date of Incident: 01/22/2013 Issuing Officer: Bruce Moline/Battalion Chief Narrative: On January 22nd, 2013 at 4:42 A.M. the Spokane Fire Department received a 911 call reporting a fire inside a duplex at 1540 E. South Riverton. Engine 8, from their neighborhood station at Mission and Rebecca was able to arrive within minutes and found a fire that had been in a fireplace now extending into the flooring and flooring system below. Assignments were quickly made to the other units arriving which included fire attack, ventilation, search, water supply, backup and rapid intervention. It was soon discovered that 4 teenage boys had been inside the structure and were attempting to heat it with wooden pallets that they had cut into pieces. The electrical system had been shut off due to a previous fire on January 16th, 2013 that was unrelated to this fire. That fire was confined to the attic space. This fire had extended into wooden flooring in front of the fireplace and consequently, had burned downward through the flooring and into the floor joists below. Ladder 2 stationed at North Foothills and Nevada, had cut an area approximately 3 feet by 3 feet to expose this burnt area properly for final extinguishment and to make sure the fire had not extended any further horizontally through the void spaces. All of the boys had made it out of the duplex without injury. The mother of two of these boys was staying at a local motel as a result of the first fire. The Red Cross is currently handling this most recent case and will be making arrangements for the family. The Avista Company arrived and did confirm that the electricity had been shut off. The Special Investigation Unit of the Spokane Fire Department is handling the final phases of the investigation process. The Spokane Fire Department Prevention Division has also been notified for any necessary follow-up. All occupants have been told to vacate these premises due to the unsafe condition of the flooring until repairs can be made. Cause: A warming fire in the firplace that escaped to adjacent wood flooring and sub flooring. Damage: Extensive damage to a 3 foot by 3 foot square area of flooring. Minor smoke damage throughout first floor. # Firefighters Responding: 22 Dollar Loss: $ 10,000 estimated End Of Release For more information on this release please call (509) 625-7002