Wednesday, November 25, 2009

fire press release

ISSUING OFFICER: Mike Inman, Battalion Chief
DATE OF INCIDENT: 11/25/2009
INCIDENT TYPE: Structure Fire
CITY: Spokane
ZIP: 99207

NARRATIVE: At 7 minutes after midnight on Wednesday November 25, 2009 the Spokane Fire Department responded to a reported kitchen fire at 1218 E. Queen. 4 Engines, 1 Ladder Truck, 1 Rescue Unit and 2 Battalion Chiefs responded with 21 Firefighters. Upon arrival by the first unit, Engine 15, it was reported that light smoke could be seen coming from the structure. The crew prepared to make an interior attack and did so after Ladder 2 arrived on scene. Additional crews took care of securing a water supply, searching the structure for occupants, ventilating smoke and setting up a rapid intervention crew if needed. Crews also overhauled the structure and looked for possible extension of the fire. The Incident Commander talked with the residents and was told that they had been cooking when the pan caught on fire. They tried to extinguish the fire with a blanket but spread the fire instead and they evacuated the duplex. No smoke alarms were heard sounding anywhere within the structure. A fast interior attack using a 1 ¾ inch fire hose confined the fire damage to the kitchen area. There was significant heat and smoke damage in the downstairs unit's kitchen with smoke damage throughout both duplex units. The fire was determined to be accidental and nobody was injured. Red Cross was called as the fire displaced a total of 5 adults, 1 child and 1 cat. The Spokane Fire Department would like to stress the importance of being careful and vigilant when cooking. If a pan does catch on fire, use an oven mitt to put a lid on the pan to try and smother the fire. Evacuate the building and call 911 for assistance to make sure the fire has not spread. Especially with grease fires do not use water or try to smother a fire with anything that will burn. Lastly make sure your smoke detectors are in working order.

PROBABLE CAUSE: Cooking fire.
DAMAGE EXTENT: Heat and smoke damage to the kitchen and smoke damage throughout the building
MUTUAL AID: None Given

For more information on this release, please call (509)625-7002 and/or check out the SFD Blog at