Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Greg Borg for President Letter.

I respectfully ask for your vote again to serve as your president.
VOTE BORG for PRESIDENT

Brothers and Sisters,

Thank you very much for your votes in the primary. More importantly, thank you for supporting the e-board’s request to redo our dues and build a legal defense fund. Your support on these issues will help assure the strength and stability of our Local in the coming years. I would also like to address a few issues.

Our future - together: While I’ve been president, I’ve tried to encourage active participation in Local 29. A union is about inclusiveness. And on some level, in the past six years, we’ve all had a say in our union’s direction. Many new members have sought e-board positions and have won them. They’ve worked hard for all of us. And I’ve always sought to have you vote on every major decision facing the body. When the chance came to buy the union office building, I thought it was a good idea. But, I made sure you decided. And with your vote, you agreed. And many of us joined together in the fight to gain firefighter representation on the LEOFF II Pension Board via I-790. Together, our individual donations of time, work and cold-hard cash won a big one for the whole job – even for those who contributed nothing. Your list of “wants” went in with me during every contract negotiation. During my term as president, we implemented the Local’s first budget. This, along with the support you just gave on dues and legal defense, gives the Local a bright financial future. Together, we are positioned in strength to win the issues of the future – whatever the future holds for us!

Experience: In this coming year, we will start negotiations for a new contract. I will use my experience to build a contract that, hopefully, will be even better than the last one. And our last contract was great - a 22% wage increase over the life of this contract! In addition, we gained more deferred comp, free uniforms, more gains for our medics, and water rescue finally received tech pay. You know how hard-fought this contract was. We gained these things not because the city likes us, or because they wanted to do the right thing. You know that we won only through tough bargaining. If I am elected again, I will do it again.

Knowledge: I have had the privilege of serving you, in some capacity, for the last 25 years. Over this time, I’ve attended around 50 educational seminars put on by the WSCFF, IAFF, L&I, labor council and LEOFF. I have worked in about 30 lobbying campaigns in Olympia and Washington DC - striving to protect and improve our bargaining rights and LEOFF II.

I have the knowledge to do the job. And, this knowledge is not just put to use during negotiations, but each day when you call, or when I’m meeting with the mayor, Bobby or the city council. I constantly deal with contract questions, LEOFF I and LEOFF II pension issues, L&I problems, disciplines and the city budget. For example, in the last few months, the knowledge of labor law has gained clothing and better shifts for Fire Prevention. You know the war stories. You know the battles. You know our string of wins. And you know the value of knowing what you need to know!

Passion and Integrity: I have dedicated 27 of my 31 years in the fire service to working for all of us. It has never been about me, or issues that just affect me - it has been about the body (you) and unionism. I have helped influence improvements in LEOFF II, and was on the L&I committee that re-wrote our safety standard three times.

I have had the integrity to stand up for what was right, and not let politics, friendship or personal gain affect my decisions or actions. And, I know this has angered some. But, I believe I have a charge to keep. That’s why you elected me.

In many ways, keeping this charge has proven successful. Mark, Mike and I have improved the Local’s relationship with the administration. We’ve done this only through hard-won respect. Things are better now than any time in the last 10 years. And things are only going to get better.

I have been there for you with knowledge, experience, passion and integrity. I am asking for your vote, so together we can build a great future for us and for all who follow.

Fraternally,

Greg

As you decide on your vote for this election, please consider that the following e-board members: Greg Haff, Darryl Wisniewski, Bill Gonzalez and Thad Frater all support my re-election. I also have the full support of Mike Bacon and Mark Vietzke, as well as Dan Renner’s and Doug Bacon’s endorsement.

No comments: